How is the bond refunded?

If the tenant and lessor/agent agree on how the bond is to be refunded, they both sign the refund form and either post it to the RTA, or fax it free of charge at an Australia Post outlet.  If the parties do not agree on how the bond should be refunded, either party can post a Refund of Rental Bond (Form 4) to the RTA, which will process the first form received.

Know your rights and responsibilities when renting in Queensland

Notice of Claim will then be sent to the other party at the last known address. The other party has 14 days from the date of the notice to advise the RTA which of the following options they will pursue:

  • applying to the RTA for dispute resolution by submitting a Dispute Resolution Request

(Form 16), or

  • negotiating with the other party directly and resubmitting a new Refund of Rental Bond (Form 4) agreed to and signed by both parties.  If no action is taken by the other party within the 14 days, the RTA will refund the bond as requested on the first form received.  If the dispute cannot be resolved, the person responding to the claim on the bond can apply  to the Tribunal for a hearing.  For more information see the Rental bond  fact sheet.