The supply and replacement of light bulbs is not specified in the Tenancies Rooming and Accommodation Act 2008. As such to avoid confusion or dispute, any arrangement about light bulbs should be included in the special terms of the tenancy agreement.

Generally, the Landlord may be responsible for maintaining specialised bulbs and the tenant may be responsible for the replacement of everyday bulbs.

If changing a bulb requires specialist knowledge or equipment, it may be part of the Landlord’s responsibility to maintain the property. A property should be handed over to the Tenant with all light bulbs working.


Anita Genrich